02.
TOUR GUIDE
  Tourist Spot
01 Kenrokuen Garden and Circumference of Kanazawa Castle Park
02 Around Korinbo, Kata-machi, and Naga-machi
03 Around Kanazawa Station, Musashigatsuji, and Owari-cho
04 Around Higashiyama and Utatsuyama
05 Around No-machi, Tera-machi, Nodayama, and Kodatsuno
06 Kanazawa Suburbs
  Newsletters
  Sample Itineraries for Gokayama, Shirakawa-go, Takayama
  Map Download
  Modes of Transportation
  Sightseeing Bus
Japanese English French Spanish Korean Simplified Chinese Traditional Chinese Thai
HOME   l   INTRODUCTION   l   TOUR GUIDE   l   ACCOMMODATIONS   l   EVENTS   l   DOWNLOADS   l   PHOTO   l   LINKS
Home > Tour Guide > Tourist Spot
Tourist Spot
02. Around Korinbo, Kata-machi, and Naga-machi
Naga-machi Buke Yashiki District Naga-machi Buke Yashiki Kyukeikan Rest House
Shinise Memorial Hall Ashigaru Shiryokan Museum
Nomura Samurai Family Residence Around Korinbo and Kata-machi
Nagamachi Yuzenkan (Yuzen Silk Center) Takada Family Remains
Oyama Jinja Shrine    
  [ Naga-machi Buke Yashiki District ]
Naga-machi Buke Yashiki photo
Naga-machi Buke Yashiki photo
Naga-machi Buke Yashiki photo
     
Naga-machi Buke Yashiki photo
   
     

- Residences of Retainers of the Kaga Maeda Family
Kanazawa was a castle town of the Kaga Clan governed by the Maeda family until 1868 (about 280 years) after Maeda Toshiie moved to Kanazawa Castle in 1583. The residences of two of the eight chief retainers of the Kaga Clan were located in the Naga-machi area, where top- and middle-class samurais (members of a feudal powerful military class) lived. With the arrival of the modern age, the appearances of the houses changed. The alleys and the mud walls of nagayamon gates (row house gates), however, still maintain the sight of the old days. A mud wall is made with stones and mud put into a mold and hardened. The roof is covered with thin wooden plates. Although mud walls that passed more than 100 years remain, most of the mud walls in the area were restored ones. There is a large quantity of snow in winter in Kanazawa. In order to prevent damage to the mud walls at the time of the spring thaw, straw mats called "komo" is used to protect the mud walls every year from early in December to middle of March. The Onosho canal, which flows around the area, was the oldest canal of Kanazawa, which was an important waterway that carried goods from the harbor to the castle town.

 
Around Korinbo, Kata-machi, and Naga-machi photo
 
 
 
 
KANAZAWA
Contact us : Sitemap  
Copyright 2017 Kanazawa City Tourism Association, All Right Reserved.
1-1 Kinoshinbo-machi Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-0858 Japan. tel + 81-76-232-5555 fax + 81-76-232-1170